Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Nottingham isn't that far from New York then

Driving home yesterday was an experience to say the least. Where the ring road around Nottingham meets the A610 was the scene of chaos. So much chaos that I found myself laughing at it so I didn't get annoyed with the stupidity of the people involved.

The A610 heading out of Nottingham was grid-locked completely. So much so that when the traffic lights changed to red there was still traffic on the junction, and that traffic had nowhere to go. It effectively cut off the ring road.

Normally this isn't a problem, but I think there must have been something in the water yesterday. Horns were sounded, tyres screeched, cars swerved into oncoming traffic--I particularly liked the van driver who did a racing start when the ring road's lights went green, even though 10 feet in front of him was a line of traffic that could not go anywhere.

He slammed on the brakes and swerved into another lane, cutting up a car and resulting in more horns being sounded.

I didn't want to add to all of this mayhem, so I turned around and went home another way.

I always find it curious when people get angry over things that no one has any real control over, and which aren't particularly important anyway.

No comments: